Stay Out of the Road!

I drove a car today for the first time in my entire life.

My odd hours at work obliged my dad to pick me up every after my shift. However, after weeks of consistently staying up till 2am to wait for me, the stress kicked in that he finally suggested that I get a student permit and start learning how to drive. I would've jumped up and down upon hearing this should this happened a few months ago. I remember that I was so determined to learn last year but my parents burst my bubble and said that I should pass on it since I don't have a car yet and it's less likely that my dad would allow me to bring his car. But it looks like the situation has gone a 180 degree turn now.

I was waiting for my dad after work today and when he finally arrived, I noticed that he had a few drinks. When I got in the car, I told him that I already checked the LTO website and took down the documents I need to bring to apply for a student permit. I mentioned that casually just so he knows I'm on it--he even reminded me to work on it this morning. I'm not really that excited to learn--I sort of started to enjoy being in the passenger's seat. But as we turned right at the Industria Road, I was astonished when he pulled over and told me "O, ikaw na mag-drive habang nasa mood ako." (You drive while I'm in the mood to teach.) I REALLY didn't want to. I was tired from work and was a bit sleepy (I stayed up late last night to write my previous blog entry) and on top of that, I know he's a bit tipsy so I'm not sure if he will be able to pull the hand break soon enough before I bump into anything. The next thing I knew, he already stepped out of the car and is walking his way to the passenger seat door so I realized there's no sense arguing and I'd do it anyway. We stayed there for about a couple more minutes ONLY as he showed me the gears and the pedals then asked me to go and drive. I had to tell myself that it's just like driving a bump car with more pedals except that I'm not supposed to bump into anything.

This all happened at the Industria Road, a street in Pasig City where a lot of warehouses and factories are situated so trucks and tricycles dominate this street. Trucks are all over this place at this time of the day. So I drove.

I didn't drive all the way to our house. I allowed my dad to drive when we reached the highway. I was sort of proud though--after that COUPLE OF MINUTES lecture, I was able to drive a stick shift car amidst the trucks and tricycles. Although I was in total panic, I was able to get a hold of myself and fortunately didn't cause the car any damage. My driving career has a long way to go, but yeah, I guess this is a good start.

I really gotta work on my license now.

Comments

  1. You have my sincerest congratulations! Joy Guevara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ate Joy!

    Now all you guys should stay out of the road because a clumsy, wimpy grown up like me is trying to learn how to drive. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well at least it looks like you're getting the hang of a stick shift. I only drive automatic. :D Last time I tried stick shift, my sister (who was teaching me) kept grimacing and making disapproving sounds/comments (e.g. Ahhh! You're ruining my car!) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just think, "I am the stearing wheel. I am the tires. I am the engine. I am the car. I have full control." Psyche yourself up. ->from one rookie driver to another

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one big challenge, but really the rewards are great! Go, Ellaine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wil: I get yelled at by my dad a lot of times too. His expressions include "Tapak gas!" (Step on the gas!) when he meant to say that I should step on the clutch. He gets in a state of panic more often than I do.

    Marielle: Thanks for the encouragement! I always think of you (a fair lady learning to drive a huge car) to psych myself up.

    Janet: I am going to enroll in a driving school next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. uy maganda na rin si mel kasi may "broom broom" na rin sya lolz

    ReplyDelete
  8. btw
    They say that you havent really learned to drive until you hit someone or something....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment